Connect with us


Dear Doctor

Question of the Month

September 2019


My son hurt his ankle yesterday at football practice. There is some bruising. Not so much swelling. He is walking on top toes or trying to. He is 8. Should I take to pediatrician or urgent care clinic?

- Eva - West Virginia (Parent)



If your pediatrician is comfortable seeing ankle injuries and has urgent appointments, I think it's reasonable to start there, since they already know your son. If the injury seems more serious they can always refer to ortho if needed.

- Corinna Franklin, MD

Browse All Past Questions

Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA)

9400 West Higgins Road, Suite 500
Rosemont, IL 60018-4976

p: (847) 698-1692
f: (847) 823-0536

Find A Pediatric Orthopaedist

Find A Pediatric Orthopaedic Speaker

Contact Us

All information on OrthoKids is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnosis, and treatment, consult a fellowship trained, board certified pediatric orthopaedist.